Daily Archives: January 1, 2011
I woke up at 5 minutes to 12 last night and saw the ball drop a Times Square, so I know it’s really a New Year. Now, here I am on Saturday morning, the first day of January, and I’m watching the Editor in Chief of Hotline taking calls on C-Span and, all of a sudden, I feel like we’re back in the same old political swamp.
Listening to the usual flow of call-ins, Republicans who are convinced that the Left controls the media and Democrats who know that the Right is going to fix the 2012 elections and Independents who think that we’re screwed no matter which way we go, I realize that the next two years is going to be at least as abysmal as the last two.
The economy may well start turning around (which is the only way I think Obama can get reelected) so I expect the President’s focus, aside from the wars that we are pumping our future financial debt into, will be on shrinking unemployment. If he gets it below 8% he probably can’t lose. If Mitch McConnell is going to fulfill his pledge to keep Obama to a single term, he’ll probably be doing as much as possible behind the scenes to keep Americans unemployed (he won’t say so, of course… but watch how he steers Republican votes with Boehner.)
And then there is the flood of Tea Party folks who start serving this month. Could they really split the Republicans? Will they push for a Newt Gingrich for President? Do they have ANY idea of how we will function if the things they campaigned for actually happen?
The Pew Charitable Trust polled Americans to find out that the first decade of this century was rated negative by a 2 to 1 majority. They thought, by a sizeable majority, that the coming decade will be better.
- C-SPAN asks GOP leader John Boehner for more camera access – USA Today (news.google.com)
- For Speaker-to-Be, Role Models to Avoid (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Lexington: Bluff and counter-bluff (economist.com)
- Mitch McConnell Sounding the Right Notes for Conservatives (politics.usnews.com)
- Rachel Maddow Reduces Newt Gingrich To A Direct Mail Scam Artist (mediaite.com)
- 2012 Poll: Obama Still Leading All Republican Candidates (firedoglake.com)
- Happy New Year 2011! Watch The Ball Drop In Times Square (mediaite.com)