Daily Archives: December 30, 2010
…since I haven’t heard from John Case. Guess he’s still in Canada. Oh well, this will round out my week.
I’m going over blues music and such here tonite… and making a list of political stuff to talk about in case anyone calls in to the show (Mark or Dino or Ralph).
By the way… you can listen to the show on line. Just go to http://www.897wshc.org and click on “Listen to WSHC Live”. To call in to the show dial 304-876-5369 anytime between 7:30 and 9:00 AM when I’m on the air.
Gee… this is one of my favorite websites… and Dutton was only 2 years older than me! I find this devastating for internet folks.
Thanks to BoingBoing for spreading the word.
- Arts & Letters website founder dies (cbc.ca)
- Denis Dutton, Arts & Letters Daily founder was 66 (laobserved.com)
- Denis Dutton has died (homepaddock.wordpress.com)
- Founder of ‘Arts & Letters Daily’ Dies (downes.ca)
- R.I.P. Denis Dutton, Founder of A&L Daily (themillions.com)
Back in the late 70s I spent a year as Administrator of the Jamaica Arts Center in Jamaica, NY, and one of my assignments was producing Jazz Concerts to go with our art exhibitions and other programs. When I approached Billy Taylor to do a concert, he suggested that the Center have him come in to do a 1-person program for children, explaining what Jazz was and getting them involved.
I must say, it was great. My admiration for this man only grew over the years… watching him on CBS Sunday Morning interviewing (and playing with) a couple of hundred Jazz Musicians through the years, or hearing him on NPR, or seeing him in his presentations from Lincoln Center. Because of Dr. Billy Taylor (and the “Dr.” was earned, btw… Taylor got his PhD in Music from the University of Massachusetts in 1975), generations of Americans were exposed to the brilliance of improvisation and composition. He wrote over 300 pieces, led a diverse career and never seemed to lose his energy.
The cause of death was heart failure, said his daughter, Kim Taylor-Thompson. I don’t think the “heart” of this man will ever fail.
Here’s a sample in remembrance:
- Billy Taylor, Jazz Pianist, Dies at 89 (narmer.wordpress.com)
- Jazz musician Billy Taylor dies at 89 (today.msnbc.msn.com)
- Billy Taylor, ardent jazz promoter, dies at 89 (pbpulse.com)
- Dr. Billy Taylor, Washington Jazz Legend, Dies At 89 [RIP] (theurbanflux.wordpress.com)
- Jazz Great Billy Taylor Dies at 89 (theroot.com)
- Billy Taylor, Jazz Pianist and Composer, Has Died (current.com)
- CeleBrate JazzMobile Founder Billy Taylor (harlemworldblog.wordpress.com)
- Musical Passings of 2010 (therestandstheglass.blogspot.com)
What on Earth are we doing there? Isn’t it clear that we can’t succeed here?
And remember… if we get 100% out of Afghanistan, the money we save could solve ALL our other problems.
- Open thread for night owls: Insecurity rises in Afghanistan (dailykos.com)
- You: Endgames in Iraq and Afghanistan (search.japantimes.co.jp)
- BREAKING: Brit Soldier Killed In Afghanistan (news.sky.com)
- ‘Millions, if not billions, of dollars’ squandered or diverted in Afghanistan (americablog.com)
- You: UN envoy fears ‘spectacular attacks’ in Afghanistan (nation.com.pk)
This from TPM Muckraker:
Rep. Jo Bonner (R-Ala.), the ranking member of the House ethics committee who reportedly ordered the Capitol Police to block the doors of the committee’s offices for a week during a dispute over the handling of the ethics case against Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA), will serve as chairman of the House ethics committee in the 112th Congress.
“The American people have every right to expect the highest standards of ethical conduct from their elected leaders, and it is important for members of both the majority and the minority to work together to ensure that such standards are observed and respected at all times within the institution,” incoming House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) said in a statement. “A functioning ethics committee will be central to that effort in the 112th Congress.”
The move almost certainly ensures that the Waters matter will be taken up in the next Congress, despite objections from a lawyer representing the California Democrat.
Read more HERE.
- Boehner taps Alabama Republican to lead ethics committee in GOP House (thehill.com)
- Bonner takes ethics chair (politico.com)
- Maxine Waters Urges Probe Of House Ethics Committee (huffingtonpost.com)
- Melanie Sloan: What of Ethics Office, Mr. Boehner? (huffingtonpost.com)