So the Senate is at work AGAIN today… on a SUNDAY… Don’t you feel bad for them?
I guess I don’t either. I spent an hour or so watching them debate the START treaty this afternoon… actually debating an amendment or two which are NOT going to get on the bill (they’ll be voting on amendments at 3:00… that’s when I’ll turn it on again)… and was amazed at how frightening it is to have politicians control nuclear weapons. I had to turn the TV off while Senator Kyl was trying to find things to blame Obama on in this treaty… and, of course, to complain about being forced to work when they should be home celebrating Christmas.
Will they get this through by tomorrow or Tuesday? We’ll see. The Republicans are great stallers here and want to take up as much time as possible (and there are some judicial appointments that are taking up space in the Senate minutes as well) and perhaps we will have to leave until the January term begins and the Dems have less Senators and no control on the House. As Driftglass told Bluegal on their on-line broadcast Wednesday, the Republicans are hostage taking thugs that will use all kinds of crap to make important legislation either die or get watered way down. They hold our security hostage and the Dems and Obama are knuckling under. Do you hear the alarm going off?
I didn’t notice if Manchin has shown up today, but I’m not sure it matters. I hate to say it, but I think everything has been pre-decided. We’ll find out when the votes are over, but I don’t think we’ll be surprised.
- McConnell Will Oppose START Treaty, But Two Top Lawmakers Predict Passage (politicsdaily.com)
- Parties at Odds on START Treaty Support (online.wsj.com)
- Senate Republican Leader to Oppose Missile Treaty – New York Times (news.google.com)
- McConnell: I can’t support START; Update: Deal reached on budget (hotair.com)
- Senate votes down McCain amendment to the START treaty (cnn.com)
- Senators clash on arms treaty as pressure grows (reuters.com)
- In letter to Senate, Obama says New START pact won’t limit missile defense – Washington Post (news.google.com)
- US Senate rejects bid to kill Russia treaty (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Obama invokes Reagan to push START treaty (reuters.com)
- START Treaty Wins Backing of GOP Senators Snowe, Collins (politicsdaily.com)
- Congress rushes to finish bills before holidays (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
Posted on December 19, 2010, in Art, Arts, blogs, budget, Congress, Economics, event, Finance, history, Legal, Military, News, Opinion, Politics, President Obama, recording, Taxes, vote, Warning, Word from Bill, World News and tagged Barack Obama, Christmas, House, Manchin, New START, Republicans, Senate, United States Senate. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.