Daily Archives: December 5, 2010
“We need to redouble our efforts to resolve this impasse — in the next few days — to give the American people the peace of mind that their taxes will not go up on January 1st,” Obama said. “It will require some compromise, but I’m confident that we can get it done.” The White House is pressing the GOP to allow an extension of unemployment benefits and the tax breaks in the stimulus bill in exchange for an extension of income tax rates. According to the Huffington Post, Obama will allow the cuts to expire if the GOP refuses. On that score, McConnell claimed there’s no impasse.
- Mitch McConnell Foresees Deal On Tax Cuts, Unemployment Benefits (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Republicans, Democrats Indicate Deal Likely on Tax Cuts, Unemployment Benefits (politicsdaily.com)
- Senate’s GOP leader says tax cuts will be extended (charlotte.news14.com)
- Mitch McConnell: Don’t’ Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Won’t Happen This Year, Tax Cuts Will Be Extended (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Senate’s GOP leader says tax cuts will be extended (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- McConnell optimistic on deals with Obama (msnbc.msn.com)
… and we’ve been cleaning and cooking for two days now. Penny and the Boys and some friends are coming over and Elly has made Ruggalah and a few other goodies and I made two pies. People will be here in about 5 hours and we’re still cleaning and cooking.
I don’t think we’ve invited people over here who were not just family since we moved in 2+ years ago. This is a test, I guess, of our hosting capabilities. I’m not sure how much to hope for… this has not been one of our specialties since we lived on Cape Cod over 30 years ago and had Fine Arts Work Center artists over for parties.
Before I get too depressed over all of this I have to put the trash we’re creating out. More later.
- PM’s message for Chanukah (number10.gov.uk)
- “Why do secular and non-observant Jews loveÂ chanukah?” and related posts (frumsatire.net)
- Chanukah!! (anitasilvert.wordpress.com)
– and –
…and, to some, it is better to TAKE from everyone…
– and –
… and GIVE to the folks who need it least…
– and –
Jeff Danziger in the Los Angeles Times:
- Population media awards go to me and other more worthy journalists (grist.org)
- Cursing CEO Causes Internet Sensation (prweb.com)
- Amazon.com eyes Chattanooga, Bradley facilities (knoxnews.com)
Quote for the Day – Thre Majority Leader on Senator McCain’s opposition to ending “Don’t ask, don’t tell”…
“First, Sen. McCain said he would seriously consider repealing it if the military leadership thought we should, and [when] the military leadership said it should be repealed, he pulled away the football. Then Sen. McCain said he would need to see a study from the Pentagon. When the Pentagon produced the study saying repeal would have no negative effect at all, he pulled away the football again.
“And his latest trick, he said yesterday that he opposed repealing ‘don’t ask, don’t tell,’ a proposal that would be a great stride forward for both equality and military readiness … because of the economy,” Reid added. “I repeat, the senior senator from Arizona said he couldn’t support repealing ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ because of the economy.
“I have no idea what he’s talking about and no one else does either.”
- Reid rips McCain over ‘don’t ask’ (politico.com)
- McCain stands firm on “don’t ask” … even after that study (shortformblog.com)
- Mother of 9/11 Hero Calls on McCain for “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” Repeal (gayrights.change.org)
- ‘Don’t ask’: McCain clashes with military leaders (sfgate.com)
- McCain slams Pentagon’s ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ study – MiamiHerald.com (news.google.com)
… with Matt Smith, the number 11 Dr. Who. I don’t know why they cut this… perhaps because too many Americans, even after 30 years of Dr. Who showing up on Public Television don’t know this SciFi series.
In reality, the intro was axed at the last minute due to rights issues (what, the title tune music?), and Ferguson subsequently called on fans to start a public campaign to get the clip online by any means necessary. The campaign took shape on Twitter via the #leaktheclip hashtag, and now just a few weeks later, the intro has indeed found its way to the Internet….
There… wasn’t that fun?
- Leaked: Craig Ferguson’s Lost “Doctor Who” Open (mediaite.com)
- Craig Ferguson’s Amazing ‘Doctor Who’ Intro Arrives Online (Finally!) (splashpage.mtv.com)
- See Craig Ferguson’s Bizarre & Unaired Musical Opening For His DOCTOR WHO/Matt Smith Episode!! (aintitcool.com)
- See The Unaired DOCTOR WHO Segment From Craig Ferguson’s LATE LATE SHOW (geektyrant.com)
- All ‘Doctor Who’-Themed ‘The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson’ on Tuesday, November 16 (tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com)
- Craig Ferguson’s Doctor Who tribute (lifeasacynic.blogspot.com)