Daily Archives: December 3, 2010
From The Hill: Collins says ‘Don’t ask, don’t tell’ repeal must wait for tax cuts By Michael O’Brien
Here’s a piece of O’Brien’s article.
The next time someone tells you that Susan Collins is a “liberal” Republican, have them read this…
There’s more at TheHill.com:
- Scott Brown May Support Repeal of Military Gay Ban – But Not Not Yet. (blogs.wsj.com)
- Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins Have the Power to End “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” Will They? (gayrights.change.org)
- GOP Sens. Threaten to Block Repeal (pinkbananaworld.com)
- ‘Don’t ask’ repeal loses momentum (politico.com)
- Senator Susan Collins Supports DADT Repeal- With Conditions (lezgetreal.com)
- “Don’t ask, don’t tell” probably not happening any time soon (salon.com)
Here’s Adam Sandler singing his Chanukah Song:
Obama made an unannounced visit to Afghanistan today where he spoke with troops and announced that another 30,000 troops will be coming into the war zone. Add this to the 100,000 troops that are there already and the corrupt Afghan government (made even clearer by the Wikileaks revelations) and we see additions being made to a war that is not going well.
Obama didn’t visit with President Karzai… the claim was bad weather which, according to reporters on Dylan Ratigan this afternoon, is not true… it was a lovely weather day in Kabul. After the Wikileaks came out last week we discovered that Karzai was most likely crazy as well as being corrupt… and we know he stole the last election. He is just as likely to make a deal with the Taliban as he is to help the President.
Al Qaeda must be thrilled by all of this, since their intention is to make Afghanistan cost us more and more while making us weaker in the Middle East (they call this strategy “Death by a Thousand Cuts” and we are certainly bleeding.) Aren’t we going to face facts and get out? Doesn’t look like it.
- Obama in Afghanistan to visit troops – Washington Post (news.google.com)
- You: Obama in Afghanistan to visit troops (washingtonpost.com)
- Obama makes surprise visit to Afghanistan – CNN International (news.google.com)
- Barack Obama fails to meet President Karzai in Kabul (telegraph.co.uk)
- Obama thanks troops in surprise Afghan visit (cbc.ca)
- Obama Drops by Afghanistan (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
“I’m just hoping that the president sticks to what he said in Iowa during the campaign, and throughout the campaign, that he was drawing the line at $250,000.”
– Tom Harken (D – Iowa)
However, don’t be surprised if Obama backs down and gives the Millionaires and Billionaires big tax cuts beyond $250,000.00 thinking the Republicans will give him unemployment assistance and a variety of expiring tax breaks for low-wage and middle-income workers as part of any deal.
- Heading off tax increases; resolution taking shape – Houston Chronicle (news.google.com)
- Tax cut, jobless aid take shape (philly.com)
- Tax Cuts Likely to Be Extended Temporarily (online.wsj.com)
- Deal Near, Senate Plans Vote on Dem Tax Cuts (foxnews.com)
- Weeked vote set for tax cuts (capitolhillblue.com)