Daily Archives: October 12, 2010
This article on the New World Perspective blog is chilling. Here’s part of it, but go in and read it all:
- U.S. Apologizes for Syphilis Experiment in Guatemala (nytimes.com)
- U.S. Officials Apologize for ‘Appalling’ 1940s Syphilis Study (news.sciencemag.org)
- Guatemalans ‘Opened Door’ for Terrifying U.S. Experiments: El Periodico, Guatemala (themoderatevoice.com)
- US says sorry for ‘outrageous and abhorrent’ Guatemalan syphilis tests (guardian.co.uk)
- U.S.: 1940s STD Experiments “Clearly Unethical” (cbsnews.com)
- Author who revealed unethical Guatemala syphilis study writes for Bioethics Forum (eurekalert.org)
Elly and I will be driving down to Silver Spring to get it right after the radio show with John Case is over at 9:00 AM. Interestingly enough, Friday is also our Anniversary (32nd) and we will be stopping off around Gaithersburg for a great Vegan restaurant we found last year. Anyway, we’ll be back Friday night when, I believe, the Sustainable Shepherdstown movie is End Of Suburbia.
Having been car-strapped for three weeks, I am really looking forward to getting the Subaru…I know my wife is getting tired of me borrowing her car for Doctors’ appointments and shopping needs. I’ll just be glad not to be stuck in the house for the better part of each day.
Anthony Tommasini in the NY Times pointed out:
Ms. Sutherland’s singing was founded on astonishing technique. Her voice was evenly produced throughout an enormous range, from a low G to effortless flights above high C. She could spin lyrical phrases with elegant legato, subtle colorings and expressive nuances. Her sound was warm, vibrant and resonant, without any forcing. Indeed, her voice was so naturally large that at the start of her career Ms. Sutherland seemed destined to become a Wagnerian dramatic soprano.
Following her first professional performances, in 1948, during a decade of steady growth and intensive training, Ms. Sutherland developed incomparable facility for fast runs, elaborate roulades and impeccable trills. She did not compromise the passagework, as many do, by glossing over scurrying runs, but sang almost every note fully.
Her death at her home in Switzerland was confirmed by her close friend the mezzo-soprano Marilyn Horne.
- ‘La Stupenda’, opera star Dame Joan Sutherland, dies at 83 (pbpulse.com)
- Australian soprano Joan Sutherland dies at 83 (ctv.ca)
- Dame Joan Sutherland dies aged 83 (bbc.co.uk)
My old school chum Oakey McKnight sent this one in…
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed–and hence, clamorous to be led to safety–by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
Except when it came to his blatant antisemitism, Mencken was rarely wrong.
- the mencken revival (3quarksdaily.com)
- Ephemera in Full (online.wsj.com)
- The Classiest Goddamned Strip Club Gossip You’ve Ever Read [Journalismism] (gawker.com)
- Caught red-handed: Learning from Mencken (psychologytoday.com)
Subject: Foreign corporations are trying to buy our elections
Funneling money from foreign interests into American elections is, straight up, illegal and the Chamber is trying to buy the election for Republicans.
I signed a petition urging Attorney General Eric Holder to initiate an immediate Justice Department investigation to stop the illegal spending. Can you join me at the link below?
- Obama Charges Foreign Influence Supporting Republicans (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Could foreign spending on elections really be legal? (slate.com)
- Think Progress investigation: U.S. Chamber using foreign donations to attack Dems (dailykos.com)
- Axelrod: U.S. Chamber Using Foreign Cash To Fund GOP Campaigns (blogs.wsj.com)
- Questions on source of chamber’s ads surface (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Shining a bright light on the Chamber (washingtonmonthly.com)
I don’t understand why Joe Manchin isn’t being supported by both Democrats and Republicans in West Virginia…
If it were not for the fact that Raese the Republican is so creepy (and pretty much a Florida Resident), I could be convinced to vote against a Democrat in my own state.
- Video: Manchin’s got a gun … (hotair.com)
- Democrat Takes Aim at Cap and Trade in Ad (cbsnews.com)
- Manchin fires at his party’s platform (politico.com)
- Joe Manchin ‘Hicky’ Ad Hammers GOP Opponent (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Manchin: If health reform can’t be fixed, ‘repeal the whole thing’ (thehill.com)
This is showing up on TV now…it leads you to a web site: 2011Mediocrity.com.
It’s only after you got to the site (which is pretty complete… and all beige) that you find a secret button that takes you to the real sponsor…Subaru.
- 2011 Mediocrity: The Full Spectrum Of Beige [Video] (jalopnik.com)
- The 5 Funniest TV Clips of the Week (VIDEO) (tvsquad.com)
- Subaru’s 2011 Mediocrity Campaign is Simply Brilliant. (ridelust.com)
- Subaru: 2011 Mediocrity, Quotes (adsoftheworld.com)