As a child, “Butzi” – as he was known to his family and business associates – enjoyed designing and building his own toys. He studied at the Ulm School of Design before joining the design department of Porsche.
The Porsche 911 was designed in 1963 and went on sale in 1964, as a rear engine vehicle that cost US$5,500.00. The automaker debuted the seventh generation 911 late last year. It now sells for about US$115,000.
Porsche headed the company’s design studio from 1962 to 1972.
- “Porsche was his life and what he stood for”: Porsche 911 designer Ferdinand Alexander Porsche dies aged 76 (mirror.co.uk)
- Ferdinand Porsche, 911 sports car designer, dies (newsok.com)
- Ferdinand Porsche, legendary 911 sports car creator, dies at 76 (rt.com)
- Confirmed: Ferdinand Alexander Porsche – designer of the 911 – dies at age 76 (autoblog.com)
- Ferdinand Porsche, designer of 911 and grandson of car company’s founder, dies at 76 (mercurynews.com)
- Ferdinand Porsche Dies at 76 (bloomberg.com)
- Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, 1935-2012 (treehugger.com)