After the most expensive and longest and most frustrating presidential campaign in our history, we can now get back to0 the important stuff. To me, of course, that is the Arts, especially Visual Arts and Theatre. To kick off my searches and good feelings, here’s some verse by Kurt Vonnegut that my pal uploaded to Facebook:
I agree with you, Kurt. We have enough investment bankers, corporate execs and politicians already. Artists we need more of.
Here are 4 samples of what I’m referring to:
Science and Space Committee? Intelligence Committee? How do these mini-brains get put on committees they don’t seem to have any intellectual connection with?
If statements like these keep them from being re-elected to the House, then I’ll have a much better vision of the voting public. I don’t count on it, however.
- When Romney questions Obama’s achievements, remember what the Congress did to most of his proposals. (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- April Russo: GOP Sen. says he will cut scientific funding because scientists read too much (examiner.com)
Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein said that he had personally heard British Prime Minister David Cameron say the following about Willard:
“I witnessed Prime Minister saying to a group of people, myself included, that Mitt Romney had that unique distinction of uniting all of England against him with his various remarks. On behalf of my love of England, I have to support the President who is anything but making faux-pas.”
- Harvey Weinstein
Hmmm. Elect Romney and turn off our number one European ally. This will help re-establish our position in the world.
- Mitt Romney Dismissed England As “Just A Small Island” (buzzfeed.com)
- Quote of the Day – Romney knows how people feel about him… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Romney Adviser Admitted Libya Flub Before New York Times Scrubbed Story (nymag.com)
- Romney Once Called England “Just a Small Island” (politicalwire.com)
- Romney’s Media Problem (boomantribune.com)
- Lyin Mitt Romney’s Foreign Policy: Insult England And Piss Off The Entire U.K. (theobamacrat.com)
It’s been a secret plan, but it has many no-secret parts. Here’s a great overview and I urge you to watch it.
This plan has to be opposed, but you can’t oppose it until you know what it is… so warch and listen:
OK… are you ready to get going? Let’s make sure this doesn’t become the exclusive country of the Koch Brothers and their pals… They are pretty sure not to include you in their plans.
- NYT: Repubicans Favored to Keep The House of Representatives (nalert.blogspot.com)
- The Repubicans Are Now a Big Problem for All of Us… (delong.typepad.com)
- Purges and Repubican Forms of Government (poliscinewsreview.wordpress.com)
- If The Public Knew – Corporate Media Helps GOP Sneak In Plutocrat Agenda (ourfuture.org)
- CHART: The History Of Political Polarization In Congress (businessinsider.com)
- *** Repubicans can tell us again about the wonders of XL Pipeline (dakotatoday.typepad.com)
Tomorrow Elly and I board a train for Wisconsin to get to Buddy and Rachel’s wedding, and today is filling up with more and more things we gave to do in order to leave. Meanwhile, I’m adjusting to my current level of pain from the accident and hoping the next seven days will be possible to get through.
We have to go shopping, get our mail held (a trip to the post office), put the dogs in a kennel, start packing – which means getting my meds together, going over wedding clothes, setting up necessary things with friends and neighbors for things that have to be done while we are gone, etc. etc. stc,
I’m already tired just thinking about it.
…and it comes from Barack Obama! His just released ad breaks away from all the negative drones from both sides that have been clogging up our televisions.
I say thanks for changing the direction:
Responding to a question about funding of the Federal Government, Majority Leader Boehner made the following statement:
“blah blah blah blah blah. all right? so? yes.”
I find his knowledge and depth of perception stunning. Don’t you?
“There is a strange new law making its way through the Arizona Legislature that would make it illegal to post negative comments on the Internet. The penalty for annoying or offending someone is up to six months in jail. That is good. They’re always saying the prisons aren’t full enough.”
Thanks to All Hat, No Cattle for pointing out this one.
- Arizona Legislature Passes Electronic Speech Censorship Bill That May Criminalize Blasphemy (counterjihadreport.com)
- Arizona legislature passes Internet censorship bill to make trolling illegal (bgr.com)
- Comics A.M. | Arizona legislature passes bill censoring electronic speech (robot6.comicbookresources.com)
… go to KEEPING HIS WORD and be supplied with a list of his accomplishments, the answers to his promises that have been kept, and all the information you need to wipe the lying bastards off the great right-wing ass.
- Tea partyers not keen about GOP presidential field (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- President Obama will present his 2013 budget plan Monday (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- White House Will Renew #40dollars Campaign On Twitter (readwriteweb.com)
- Why Congress Must Extend the Payroll Tax Cut Through 2012 (whitehouse.gov)
Looking at commuter problems in this country pale when we look elsewhere. This from All Hat, No Cattle (one of my all-time favorite blogs):
People ride on top of a commuter train in Jakarta, Indonesia, Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2012. Indonesia has gone to imaginative extremes to try to stop commuters from illegally riding the roofs of trains, hosing down the scofflaws with red paint, threatening them with dogs and appealing for help from religious leaders. Now the authorities have an intimidating and possibly even deadly new tactic: Suspending rows of grapefruit-sized concrete balls to rake over the top of trains as they pull out of stations, or when they go through rail crossings. Photo/Dita Alangkara
“I’m embarrassed by all of us. I’ve never seen a worse Congress in my whole political life.’’
(thanks to Debbie Does Nothing.)
Snowe, who served as Maine’s congresswoman from 1979 to 1995 and has been a senator ever since, is being targeted by the Tea Party for voting in favor of the debt ceiling deal despite the fact that it did not include a balanced budget amendment.
- GOP Senator: ‘I’m Embarrassed By All Of Us… I’ve Never Seen A Worse Congress’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Snowe hit for debt ceiling vote (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- The Last Time We Trusted Republicans….. (lezgetreal.com)
- GOP Senator Olympia Snowe says no-deal on including cuts to Social Security and Medicare in debt talks (americablog.com)
… we’ll be spending some time talking about the economy, the political future of the Middle Class, and a few other things.
That’s 10 o’clock this morning http://www.blogtalkradio.com/billtchakirides/2011/07/19/under-the-lobsterscope.
“We’ve had not one minute of debate about the debt ceiling in any committee. We haven’t had a budget in two years. We haven’t had an appropriations bill in two years. So I’m part of the freshmen group in the Senate that’s saying, ‘no more.’”
“Next week, we will filibuster until we talk about the debt ceiling, until we talk about proposals.”
- Rand Paul (R – KY)
So next week is going to have a new reason to watch C-Span 2. Can’t wait.
I really expected him to be gone today. When we got over to the marshy area by the runoff pond our friend started flying around us and then went from bush to bush staying just a few feet ahead of us making his clicks and chirps.
I’m getting to expect him and will be disappointed if he’s not there tomorrow. I think my dogs are getting used to him, too… especially Byron who would most likely eat him if he landed within grabbing room. Nestle looks at him and then goes back to sniffing the ground.
… and I’m happy to say that my guest will be West Virginia Poet Tom Domlin. Tom and I will get to discuss some of his poetry… he’ll do some reading… and we’ll have a good time.
That’s tomorrow morning from 10:30 to 10:30 AM at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/billtchakirides/2011/05/10/under-the-lobsterscope
- Under The LobsterScope Podcast should be available next Tuesday… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
“I will not be a candidate for president next year. This has been a difficult, personal decision, and I am very grateful to my family for their total support of my going forward, had that been what I decided.
“Hundreds of people have encouraged me to run and offered both to give and raise money for a presidential campaign. Many volunteers have organized events in support of my pursuing the race. Some have dedicated virtually full time to setting up preliminary organizations in critical, early states and to helping plan what has been several months of intensive activity.
“I greatly appreciate each and every one of them and all their outstanding efforts. If I have disappointed any of them in this decision, I sincerely regret it.”
- Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour (R)
So who will Haley support for the Republican nomination? Best guess is his good buddy, Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels (R).
- Haley Barbour of Mississippi Bows Out of 2012 Run (mydd.com)
- Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour Skips 2012 GOP Presidential Race (usnews.com)
- Haley Barbour Not Running in 2012 (abcnews.go.com)
- Haley Barbour Declines To Run In 2012 (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Haley Barbour: I’m Not Running (newser.com)
- Breaking: Haley Barbour not running for president; Update: Daniels now 60-70%? (hotair.com)
- Haley Barbour will not seek the presidency (dailykos.com)
- Barbour opts OUT! (smacktalkradio.wordpress.com)
They mentioned another video on the Story of Citizens United. Here it is:
And, finally, if you represent a corporation, there is a statement you can sign at Business For Democracy, part of the American Sustainable Business Council.
- Vermont Measure Calls for Revoking Corporate Personhood | CommonDreams.org (f33dyourhead.wordpress.com)
- “Vermont Is Gearing Up to Strike a Major Blow to Corporate Personhood” and related posts (freedemocracy.blogspot.com)
- Citizens United and the Constitutional Rights of Corporations (professorbainbridge.com)
- The Story of Stuff – Season 2 (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Robert Weissman: One Year Later, Movement Is Growing to Overturn Citizens United (yubanet.com)
- Doug Kendall: Will the Supreme Court Prevent Citizens United From Being Fixed? (huffingtonpost.com)
Dennis really wakes ‘em up here. Take a look and see what you think. I’ve never been more impressed with the last liberal from Ohio:
- Kucinich: Gates will have ‘blot’ on record for Manning detainment (thehill.com)
- Is Rep. Dennis Kucinich The Only One Who Wants To Know WTF Is Going On With Bradley Manning? (queerty.com)
- Support Rep. Kucinich’s efforts to better regulate GMOs. (inmatezero.wordpress.com)
- Kucinich says Obama should have serious 2012 primary challenge (thehill.com)
- Kucinich Requests Meeting With Accused WikiLeaker (politics.blogs.foxnews.com)