Posted by btchakir
Thinking about this as I went out for groceries in Martinsburg, I passed by gas stations where the price was now $3.85 a gallon for regular. Only two weeks ago it was 40¢ a gallon less. Given my regular driving record, that adds $40.00 to a biweekly part of my monthly Social Security payment.
In other words, $40.00 is a lot of money when you’re not sitting on a pile coming in from your low-taxed investments.
Since Republicans don’t mind cutting taxes on the wealthy, but don’t want to continue the payroll cuts on the other 90% of us, maybe our answer is not to drive ANYWHERE anymore. Of course, then, a lot of people won’t get to their jobs. Or get their kids to school. Or make doctors’ appointments.
The world changes and we get poorer.
- Obama says “enough is enough,” I agree but I suspect we are talking about two different things (quinnscommentary.com)
- White House Will Renew #40dollars Campaign On Twitter (readwriteweb.com)
- Why Congress Must Extend the Payroll Tax Cut Through 2012 (whitehouse.gov)
- David Plouffe: “Here we go again” (whitehouse.gov)
- $40 Means Being Able to Afford My Daughter’s Medications (whitehouse.gov)
- President Obama Pushes Congress to Extend the Payroll Tax Cut Through 2012 (whitehouse.gov)
- White House renews #40dollars campaign (politico.com)
- Obama: Payroll tax cut fight isn’t over yet – CBS News (cbsnews.com)
- President Obama asks America to make its voice heard on payroll tax cut (dailykos.com)