Daily Archives: February 7, 2012
Ok, so I'm getting on a lot of high horses today. This is an editorial comment and I'm thoroughly pissed.
For months, if not years, the GOP Ring-Wing blithering toads have served up red meat to a certain slithery segment of the evangelical crowd. Namely, the desire, usually in the name of JE-sus, to control women's bodies.
Issues that have long been settled by decades of law and implementation are again being assaulted on a regular basis by Republican-dominated legislatures, by insane GOP presidential campaigns, and by all those evangelical whigs who seek to create a Pavlovian response in foggy heads around the country.
This is from Musicians For Freedom, a blog out of Denver, Colorado.
Monsanto is closing its operation in Britain because of opposition to GMO foods
Officials at Monsanto — a multinational agricultural biotechnology corporation and leading producer of genetically engineered seed — said the company is closing its wheat growing operation, based in Cambridge, which employed 125 people, and selling off crop-breeding centers in France, Germany and the Czech Republic, the Daily Mail reported.
Monsanto made its decision public shortly before the British government’s final announcement on the prospects for GM food, and after research in Britain found GM farming would have long-term negative impacts.
Three studies conducted for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs found pollen contamination would spread far further than previously believed, “feral” growth of weed killer would persist for years and the heavy use of chemicals associated with these crops could wipe out some species of birds.
The government’s findings involved hundreds of public meetings and 37,000 questionnaires. Ninety-three percent of respondents said not enough was known about the long-term effects of these foods on health, and 86 percent said they would refuse to eat the GM food.
OK… that’s Germany and Britain who are protecting their population. Why in hell aren’t we?
- Monsanto Closing Operations in Britain Due to Opposition to GMO Food (musicians4freedom.com)
- Monsanto calls it quits in Britain (thebovine.wordpress.com)
- Germany Decides Genetically-Modified Foods Are Not Welcome (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Breaking: Monsanto Forced Out of UK by Activists (haroonhaider.com)
- The Monsanto leaving Britain story was apparently from 2003, details below: (thebovine.wordpress.com)
- Marchers Throughout U.S. on Sunday to Demand GMO Food Labeling (danielrrosen.com)
- Monsanto Charged with Bio-pirarcy For GM Eggplant (greenflbroker.com)
- Genetically Modified Foods Not Served in Monsanto Cafeteria (disclose.tv)
- SignOn.org Beta – Tell Obama to Cease FDA Ties to Monsanto (2012indyinfo.com)
The Affordable Care Act has produced $2.1 billion in prescription drug savings for nearly 4 million seniors and people with disabilities who were enrolled in Medicare Part D in 2011, a new Obama administration report finds. The savings are the result of a provision in the health care law that provides a 50 percent discount for brand-name drugs and 14 percent discount for generic brands to Medicare beneficiaries in the so-called “doughnut hole.” Seniors can expect greater savings as the law completely closes the coverage gap over time.